Monday, August 11, 2008

Biscuits

Easy, easy delicious biscuit recipe.

These are a quick favorite at our house. Uses what you have on hand and takes about 25 minutes start to finish.

1 stick of cold butter
2 cups (plus a handfull more) self-rising flour
1 cup cold milk PLUS
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 450.

Using paring knife, cut chunks of butter into about 1/4 to 1/2 " slices into the SR flour in a bowl. Toss the butter with the flour. Use a pastry cutter or fork to chop butter into the flour. Doesn't have to be exactly the size of peas, but should be pretty chunked in.

Cover and chill in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Add vinegar to milk, let sit about 2 minutes. Take flour/butter mix out of fridge, stir in milk mixture with for, just until ingredients are moist.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times, gradually adding additional flour as needed. With floured hands, press or pat dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle or whatever. Sprinkle top of dough with additional flour. Fold dough over onto itself in 3 sections, starting with 1 short end. (Fold dough rectangle as if folding a letter-size piece of paper.) Repeat entire process 2 more times, beginning with pressing into a 3/4-inch-thick dough rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches). THIS is the secret to getting the biscuits to rise and have nice, flaky layers.

Cut with a biscuit cutter, champagne glass, empty washed tuna can, or whatever. Cut straight down, do not twist as this seals the edges and they won't rise.

Place on your pizza stone, with rounds slightly touching. You can also use a cookie sheet.

Bake at 450° for 13 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; brush with 2 Tbsp. melted butter.

For variety, add a handful of Bleu Cheese or a cup of shredded cheddar and course ground pepper and/or dried herbs.

************

You know, writing this out reminds me of the many folks who have influenced or had an impact on the various parts of my life at various points.

Whenever I make biscuits or anything requring flouring a table, I'm reminded of Joe Olbris. Who else knows Joe?He used to always um....remind me... to close the drawers when I'm working in the kitchen so the flour doesn't get in them. Later, when I go to reach for things in my kitchen drawers, and I find flour or bits of dough, I grin, remembering....Thank you Joe!

Any homemade biscuits always remind me of my grandparents. They (and my mom) made drop biscuits. This recipe can easily be converted to drop biscuits adding a little more milk, and just spooning the dough out by tablespoons onto the cookie sheet.

Finally, my pal Heather introduced me to the concept of meal planning to plan grocery shopping or using what I have on hand. These biscuits are part of my repetoire for certain meals - especially last minute if I have forgotten to make bread!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm.....biscuits & homemade bread :) Good memories. I tell my kiddies when we are in the kitchen, "work clean!work clean!" another famous Joe Olbris saying-Bev

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?