Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Cheer

There are many, many things that I love about the Alleghany Highlands.  I'm going to share one thing that is especailly close to my heart, one that I hold in high esteem.

I've told you before that every Monday is "trash day" in our part of the county.  The girls get the biggest kick of running out and saying "hi" to the "trash guys," telling them about something that's recently happened, probably even airing a little Morris dirty laundry here and there and generally just connecting with a few guys who they consider their great friends.

Last year we were bowled over when they pulled the big white truck up to the end of the driveway and got out with two wrapped Christmas presents for the girls.  Read about it here.....
Today, I got a lump in my throat when it happened again.  I dunno, maybe I'm just a little emotional today or something, but it really touched my heart. 

 The girls were so excited because this was the last Monday before Christmas....and they couldn't WAIT to give their friends cards, fudge and cookies that we'd made.  They excitedly talked about their friends ("I love them!" and "They're my best friends!") as they made glitter-loaded cards for these great guys.


For the girls, this was all about GIVING and not receiving.  Not once was a reference made to them "getting" anything from the "trash guys*."  The word "exhuberant" comes to mind as they looked forward to giving their presents. 

*Hannah has called them "the trash guys" from the first time she went out to see them. 
The name has stuck, although they signed last year's cards "The Trashmen." 

We were just finishing up our first half of school when the cry arose, "TRASH GUYS ARE COMING!"  And two little girls strapped on their flip-flops, grabbed a glittery stack of cards and treat boxes and trotted out in just-below-freezing-temperatures toward Johnson Creek Road. 

The pictures show the rest of the story...






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?