My friend Loretta sent me these encouraging verses I'd like to share with you -
(1)Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
(2)Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.
(3)For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you.
(4)For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
(5)Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.
(6)This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, who give their full time to governing.
(7)Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.
(8)Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.
1 Timothy 2:1-4:
(1) I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-
(2) for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
(3) This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
(4) who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
(13) Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority,
(14) or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.
(15) For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.
(16) Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.
(17) Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.
AND (for perspective)
(13)"Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.
(14) I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
And some facts - no matter which candidate won your vote:
> Jesus is still King.
> Our responsibilities as Christians have changed one iota.
> The greatest agent for social change in America is still winning the hearts and minds of men and women through the gospel, not legislation.
> My primary citizenship is still in this order - (1) the Kingdom of God, (2) America, not vice-versa.
> The tomb is still empty.
> The cross, not the government, is still our salvation.
> Our children are still more concerned with whether or not we spend time with them than with who is President.
> My neighbor is still my neighbor, and loving him/her will still be the second greatest commandment. (Do you know the first?)
> The only way to see abortion ultimately overturned is still winning men and women to a high view of life through the gospel of Christ.
> The only way to see gay marriage ultimately defeated is still winning men and women to a biblical view of marriage through the gospel of Jesus Christ.
> My retirement will still not match my treasure in Heaven.
> "Jesus Is Lord" is still the greatest truth in the Universe.
> We still know that God is in control.