Saturday, March 5, 2011

excuse note

There was a minor upheaval in our house to which I can attribute my lack of posts of late! 
When we first moved into this house, Hannah claimed the master bedroom as her own.  We gave in, thinking that she would share it with her Tiny Baby Sister when she arrived, the third bedroom would be an office - and that plan worked in theory. 
You probably know that I kept each one of those tiny babies in my bed until they quit nursing and then moved them to their own beds.  Abigail was an easy transition from mama's bed to her own, and she actually slept well in her own bed.  At first. 
Abigail discovered all of the exciting things on her sister's side of the room at about the same time that Hannah began to be (naturally) possessive of things that were hers.  She also discovered that trying to keep her sister awake in the evenings was great fun and a source of great attention from her parents.
So...we did the room swap.  Each girl got their own bedroom and we lost the office/spare bedroom.  Andy and I are now in the master bedroom and while this arrangement has worked out very well for the girls, Andy and I have had to adapt.  The television/VCR and computer are now in our bedroom.  So when one or the other of us goes to bed, the other has to avoid clicking the keys late into the night. 
We need more space - another bedroom would be great, but so would a den.  Don't even get me started on a second bathroom!  It will come, I'm sure - I'm praying daily - but until then, we're crowded.  For school, we use the kitchen table - most homeschoolers do - and I send Abigail to my bedroom to watch a video when she's finished with her work. But she's so far away from us that its like sending her to the barrens.  Andy likes to fall asleep to the TV on, which is a surefire way to trigger a bout of insomnia for me...we're still learning to adapt.
This passage comes to mind whenever I consider our housing arrangements: 

Philippians 4:11-13  11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

It comes to mind, but in all honesty, I do not feel content in this situation.  I struggle daily with it on some level.  I look to friends who are more tightly packed into their homes who make things work and I quit bellyaching to myself about it.  Is this coveteousness?  Maybe.  That just occurred to me.  I don't covet any specific home, nor do I fault anyone for the homes they have.  I just feel that we need to spread out a little more here - have more privacy, more room to be efficient.  Nothing excessive or ostentasious.
So there, friend, is my rant/excuse as to why I've been quiet for awhile.  We've been settling in to our new living arrangements.  Hannah can now stay up till all hours telling her "stories" in peace, Abigail has her own group of toys to call her own, while Daddyo and Mama race to be the first to fall asleep so as not to be disturbed by the others' snores. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?