Thursday, October 7, 2010

Facebook Status

There's a new pastime on Facebook. Maybe you've seen it, wondered about it, or even participated. I've seen it, been invited to participate - It is purported to raise awareness for breast cancer, and what you do is change your status update to answer the question of "where you like to put your purse." Only you indicate the location only and do not reveal to what you are referring. The "joke" is that it is supposed to be suggestive - supposedly your "friends" will wonder what you are posting about and think about it in terms of anything but where you hang your purse. HA, HA, very funny, right?


I know that my Facebook friends who have posted the different locations to their status updates don't see any harm in joining in on the "fun." It's just a game, after all, and it's for a good cause, right? We're just hinting around at something…let the guys or those "not in the know" become curious. After all, most of my FB friends are married…so it's OK, right?

But wait…these same friends have guys listed as their friends. And those guy friends were created in such a way that such titillating comments so very easily trigger sinful thoughts…and lustful thinking…and, again, because of the way they are created - visual images. That's right. Her guy friends are PICTURING her…

It's not just men, either. Facebook allows users to be as young as 13. What kind of message does this send to young girls and boys? That sex is the butt of a joke? That single women are engaging in…

Do you profess to be a Christ follower? Do you tell others that you love Jesus?  Do you go to church? 

Here is what Paul suggested about how we should interact with those who will be watching to see if our actions measure up with our words:

2 Corinthians 8:20, 21: "We want to avoid any criticism
of the way we administer this liberal gift.
For we are taking pains to do what is right,
not only in the eyes of the Lord but also in the eyes of men.

Is posting a suggestive status taking pains to do what is right in the eyes of men?

There's more…

But among you there must not be
even a hint of sexual immorality,
or of any kind of impurity,
or of greed, because
these are improper for God's holy people.
Ephesians 5:3

Yikes! There's more…

Abstain from all appearance of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:22)

…Be careful to do what is right. (Romans 12:17)

Yes, but it isn't really evil, or wrong, now, is it?

The Apostle Paul comes at it another way:

We put no stumbling block in anyone's path,
so that our ministry will not be discredited. (2Cr 6:3)

Can a status update be a stumbling block?

1 Corinthians 8:13 says:
"Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin,
 I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall."

(Chew on that a minute.)
Try this version:

"Therefore, if my use of Facebook causes my brother to fall into sin,
 I will never use Facebook again, so that I will not cause him to fall."

I'm pretty confident Paul would agree with this translation...do you?

"So whether you eat or drink
or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
Do not cause anyone to stumble,
whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God-
even as I try to please everybody in every way.
For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many,
 so that they may be saved."
1 Corinthians 10:31-33.

See a trend here?

The Bible is pretty clear. And that was before Facebook was even invented!

I'll close with this - which is the yardstick by which I measure many things in my life, thanks to a lesson I studied with a friend who worked closely with The Navigators:

Philippians 4:8:
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble,  whatever is right,
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable
-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-
think about such things.

6 comments:

  1. Bravo! I have chosen not to participate in the whole 'purse' thing for a different reason. 'Raising awareness' is a much overused term, and is not accomplishing anything except exactly what you described above. How in the heck is leaving a cryptic message that's sole purpose is to engender thoughts completely opposite of the actual meaning supposed to 'raise awareness' of anything?? And how does said newfound 'awareness' benefit the supposed issue? "Oh, I saw a funny FB post, I think I'll go donate a kazillion dollars to research a horrible disease!" It's not 'awareness' anyone is trying to raise, it is MONEY, plain and simple. Why not just come out and say that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this... I feel exactly the same way.

    My husband is a youth pastor, and I made SURE to call him asap so that he didn't flip if he saw some of his girl students posting this as their status.

    IMHO, it is disgusting.

    My friend and I are discussing this right now, and she said, "We are ALL aware of breast cancer." This is NOT the way to promote it.

    DO something. RUN or WALK in a benefit for cancer. THAT does something. Or just say, "Hey, ladies! Reminding you to get yourself checked for breast cancer!" Now THAT is a status update that raises awareness.

    Ugh.

    Sorry to vent in your comments, but I truly want you to know how much I appreciate this post. I shared it on my facebook :) That, in my opinion, is a GREAT status update. Ha!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and the previous commenters... This Facebook thing doesn't help the cause in the least little bit. It's disgusting.

    And another concern I had... it seems dangerous to broadcast to all of Facebook where you keep your purse. You would hope that your true friends would not steal from you... but in these troubled times, you never know. It seems like a safety concern on several levels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts, Heidi! I posted a link to this on my FB wall earlier today. Do you mind if I post a link to it on my blog tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Sorry it posted to the wrong Google account so you can't reply there. Here's my email: lorijwaugh@gmail.com My blog is "Shine Like Stars": www.weewaughs.blogspot.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is so much truth in this post!! Thank you so much! As a guy, I agree with everything you say. Thank you so much for your consideration of your brothers in Christ! It means a lot to me and I don't even know you.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?