Monday, April 2, 2012

Rockin' the Homeschool

In a recent "aha!" moment, I made one simple change that has helped Han surge ahead in her learning ~



If you guessed, "Let the cat supervise her writing assignments," that would be pretty funny, but - wrong.

I was having so much trouble with her leaning her school chair up on two legs, rocking it backward on the back legs, leaning sideways to 'thunk' it on the floor and generally being wholly KINETIC while I was trying to get her to read/write/work out her math, that I was becoming distracted.

My parents bought us one of those great Cracker Barrel rockers for Christmas, and I used it to sit and read or teach.  But one day I just switched it for Hannah's flat chair and ~VOILA!~ the kinetic energy was still there, but it is directed to back and forth movement and not balance or 'thunking.'

Yes, its a little too big and she can't sit back in it, but she does very little desk work right now; mostly math.  I'll keep my eye out for a (cheap/free) rocker more in her size.  In the meantime, this is working out GREAT and I can tell a HUGE difference in her attention span and concentration.  Who'd'a thunk?

Now if only I could get that cat to come up with a few lesson plans.....

1 comment:

What do you think?